Sunday, September 16, 2018

Strip Bending For The Tail Section

Rob's advice to view the first attempts to build the bow and stern sections as "practice" is very good. I learned and remembered a great deal about heat bending and hot glue:
1. You have to over-bend all strips much more than it looks like you have to. Even after cooling, they "neck back" and try to straighten themselves.
2. Hot melt glue will not hold a strip down that isn't bent enough to lie against the form naturally, without force. Neither would a staple or a brad.
3. In the past, I haven't really "obeyed" the forms completely-some strips pulled off the forms, and it was acceptable. I won't get away with that here 😏
4. I am certainly going to have to bevel the strips as always.

Looking at my Workmate gave me an idea:
I shift the C clamps around until I get the desired bend. It holds the work nicely, unlike clamping one end and holding the other. I can really hit it with the heat gun without burning myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment