Thursday, September 6, 2018

New Ideas

I had, after my last build was completed, decided not to build another kayak this winter, however, I managed to find excuses to do just that.
After messing around with Kayak Foundry quite a bit, I got better at using KF, but not much better at designing a kayak. I seem to keep going back to a shape that looks much like the last one, and there is still a disconnect between the technical numbers, aesthetics, and the message board comments. I decided to put that project on hold. I don't want to put another whole winter's effort into a possibly flawed design.
I started looking for published designs, but didn't really find any, until I started looking at Rob Macks' "Dark Star" baidarka. I had previously shied away from those things, because they looked like a lot of trouble to build, but I came up with reasons to try it:
1. It will be 15' 6" long\
2. I can probably build it ultra-light.
3. Its something besides the S.O.S.
I checked out the paddler  weight requirements, and weighed myself with gear: 167. The upper limit for the design is 180. I don't want to build another boat bigger than necessary, and now I may be able to achieve my years-old goal of building a "grab-and-go" kayak.
I ordered his plans and video: $172 
9-9
When I got the plans, I was pissed!
He doesn't have full-sized forms. There is what appears to be a picture of forms stacked up (the view that everyone seems fascinated with), with markings to use on tracing paper!  No waterline marks. No rocker measurement printed on the forms, you have to look at the full-boat diagram. The video is slightly helpful, because his written instructions are notoriously hard to understand.
I felt like returning them, but as I get used to the differences, I'm now thinking that I'll probably go through with it.
9-11
I still keep getting pissed off, the more I read the manual. It isn't very good for the experienced builder, who wants to know the basic principles and differences between building the baidarka and building a Greenland kayak. Its very step-by-step, but his way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment