Friday, December 7, 2018

Internal Stems

Ironically, I ditched the Dark Star, and selected the Golden because I wasn't in the mood to try new, first-time techniques, but in reading the manual. I can see that I will be doing just that, anyway.
The Golden uses internal stems, built up as a lamination, using the forms as a mold. I didn't like the idea at first, but after starting, I'm liking the idea. 
Easier than I thought, with thin strips. On previous builds (The O.I.), I had to shape the edge of the stem by guesswork, before stripping, and the angle wasn't always optimal. This way, I can shape as I go along, for a good angle and fit. Unfortunately, I got a little carried away "freehand" shaping this stem, and it might have to be remade :S
They also have you laminate an external stem atop the internal stem, while you're in the mood. Photo shows the external stem of basswood atop the internal stem of cedar. I've never tried it this way, I always dealt with the external stem after stripping the hull. I may yet do it that way, but this may produce a fairer, straighter stem. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment