Friday, December 14, 2018

Actually Laying A Strip

I did, in fact, have to re-make both internal stems, because I misjudged the angle of taper. I'm finding the process of tapering the internal stems more difficult that I thought it would be-I always tapered the "cutaway" stem first, and then made the strips conform to it. This time, I have to check the taper/angle with each strip that goes down. I have the feeling that I will be improvising later.
The sheer strip. I actually used epoxy to glue it to the stem.
I did the usual technique of tacking the sheer strip to the forms, and checking for fair. Its coming out about average, I can see that a form or two might have to be moved.
At a Point Of Frustration, I got fed up with preconceptions, and decided to use what I know, and just start stripping.
I thought about using a waterline strip, but didn't like the way it looked. Trying something new for the keel accent strip-a strip that goes the full length, glued onto the internal stems. I think I can somehow blend it into the external stem pieces. I also "made" it fit by grinding down the tops of the pointy-er forms. I'm starting to realize that what really matters is making strips fair to each other, not slavishly following the forms.
I laid the first full-length cedar strip today, seeing very happily, that no cheaters will be necessary at the stern, and only a couple at the bow.
I did the routine of laying a strip straight out to the bow form, with the intention of filling in the gap with cheaters, but I had a problem with getting the strip to merge with the internal stem. It finally occurred to me that I could bend the strip down to the shear strip without a cheater.
It hits the internal stem at a better angle than the strip that I tried to run straight out. There may be cheaters as I go further up.

No comments:

Post a Comment