Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Tail Section Saga

This is definitely a "character building" process.
I achieved a compromise between Following The Instructions Implicitly, and Doing It My Way. First, I tried 5/8" x 3/16 strips, but I found it really difficult to bend and twist them enough to lie on the frame without tension, and I had already found that hot melt glue doesn't have any holding power. I went back to the surface planer, and made some strips thinner than 3/16", but not quite down to 1/8" (3/32"?) I found them considerably easier to heat bend. This may make for some thin areas after shaping, but I have been there and done that before.
I also "resorted" to staples. I know what they do  and how to use them. The "cheater" strips were difficult, requiring a compound bend/twist, so I tried full 3/16" thick strips, for more gluing area. 
The manual says to strip down about 4-1/2" from the sheer. This is about 4-1/4" from the sheer. I think he means for a larger Baidarka, but this is the smallest one. Its another thing that I won't understand until I get to that stage.
The video also shows the end being joined with a scarf joint, but I think I'm going to go for an end cap lamination instead.
And. of course, the other side was much easier. Somehow, I ended up with three small cheater strips instead of two larger ones, but everything measures out O.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment