Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Major Change Of Plans

I have decided not to build the Dark Star.
When I have trouble making up my mind, I tend to "list & evaluate" the factors that would push me to a decision.

In favor of the Dark Star:
Different
Light weight
Challenging
Small Material Usage

Against the Dark Star:
"Fussy" , unfamiliar building techniques, like the stern mini-deck, fershlugginer Bifurcated Bow, merging strips into the stern section, etc. I would probably get these things right, but I'm not really in the mood to bust my a-- for so-so results.
It looks too small. Considerable of the overall length is the high-rocker bow, which would probably spend much of its time uselessly out of the water.
The high rocker and rounded chine suggest a lousy-tracking, excessively "loose" boat.
Need for sheer clamps.
I also agree with what others before me have said: the forms are too darned far apart. I didn't like the idea of stretching 3/16" strips that far between forms.

A far as decisions go, I sometimes find it useful to evaluate the why. The only reason I'd have to continue the DS would be because I had already gotten as far as I did, building the bow & stern sections, etc, but I already have assembled the box beam, and made strips. I'm not going to build a kayak that I don't want simply because I've started it.

I looked back at Redfish Kayaks "Golden", and it looks appealing-low volume, 16' length, light weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment