Friday, October 4, 2019

Setting Up

I assembled two sections of Box Beam, with an extra 1' space in between, to make a 17' beam. I almost forgot how heavy and cumbersome it is to set up, but I got it done. I sanded the top and gave it a coat of white paint to aid in marking.
These plans call for the use of an internal beam, but I decided to improvise a little and do it on a ladderback. I found the form with the greatest distance between the waterline and the bottom edge, and marked that distance on a ruler. 
I aligned that form directly to the top string, and every form that same distance from the waterline to the string. The rocker falls into place naturally. Interestingly, the forward half of this kayak has considerably more rocker than the aft.
I somehow found the finagling & leveling easier than it used to be. 5/8" MDF would have been easier to handle than 3/4", but I couldn't find any.

I found this easier also. After measuring the rocker, I eyeballed the "knife" edge to the string. The waterline mark is really short on this form, so I leveled by placing the level vertically on the "blade" part of the assembly, and the station form. As usual, I used a mini-bracket to support the weight and align the tip of the form to the string.

No comments:

Post a Comment