Friday, February 15, 2019

Stems

When I laid the center strip. I had some kind of intuition that I should overlap it on the internal stem. It seems to have worked out well, although you can see the joint if you look closely.
The stem layups that I made earlier din't even come close to fitting, so I fell back on the "old" technique. I planed basswood down to 1/8" x 3/4", and set the first strips with dookie.
Layers 2,3, and 4 were glued with Titebond. A little heat bending was needed at the ends, which was easy with these this strips. I'm always amazed at the amount of clamping pressure that can be achieved with several laps of shrink wrap.
The four layers looked huge.
I ground the basswood down to the angle of the hull, and was surprised at how much smaller the stem became-about 2 layers ended up sawdust! The stem seems to be blending into  the center strip fairly well.
Stern. More fairing to be done, especially that whoop-dee-doo curve in the middle.
Generally, this is going quite well, and I think its going to look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment