Friday, March 19, 2021

Deck Work

 After the "painstaking" full-length 3/8" wide strips, I continued with full-length 5/8" strips up to the cockpit area.


The full-length strips seem to have filled in about half of the deck.

A bit of an "oops". I use a paper template to check if the strips are long enough to reach the cockpit area, and the time that I didn't bother to check, I glued in a strip that was too short! I considered butt-joining little strips to fill the gap, but instead decided to try un-gluing the work with the heat gun. It was surprisingly easy-I heated a utility blade just enough to go through the softened glue, and the strips came out. Light scraping and it was clean.

After the new strip were in, it looked just like a slightly-less-than-perfect glue job. The broiled glue residue sanded off easily.


Obligatory Whiskey Plank Photo. I made the previous two strips extend to the form, then filled in the gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment