Saturday, April 20, 2019

Tuning Up The Outer Island, Again

I put the pieces of the Golden "aside", broke the strongback down, cleaned up a bit, and put the O.I. on sawhorses.
I decided to add a strip of 4 oz. glass at the bow & stern.
Last year, I did relatively light sanding before varnishing. This year, I went right at it with the R.O.S, and realized just how thick the varnish is! In the future, I may sand more before each re-varnishing. More sanding results in hitting the fiberglass in more places, but I'm re-epoxying the bare spots.
Repairing the bare-glass spots went well. I applied one coat of epoxy, scraped lightly, then another coat of epoxy, wider than the first, before sanding. Blended in well.
Varnishing went well, using my favorite masking technique. I thought that the weather was un-cooperative: occasional rain and 60% humidity in the basement, but all coats dried in 24 hours. Another discovery: it is the thinner that stanks so bad, not the varnish. First coat 50/50, second coat about 70/30, and third coat about 85/15. The third coat barely smells.

No comments:

Post a Comment