Friday, April 19, 2019

Sadly, Project Aborted

I have decided not to finish building this kayak, at least not at this time.
I simply could not get the deck and hull joined. The hull spread apart at the sheer, and three ideas that I had for bringing the parts together didn't work.
After meltdowns, I realized that there were just too many errors and things that I didn't like about the build, to go on. Its getting late, and I have to get the Outer Island ready for the water.
What I Don't Like About it:
Ugly. My idea for Plain-Jane stripping didn't really work, visually. The cockpit opening came out a strange shape. The actual design doesn't appeal to me, anyway.
Weight and Size. This was finally supposed to be my ultra-light-weight, "grab and go" boat, but I did things that made it heavier than I wanted it to be, and it's longer than I visualized.
I didn't really like using Joe's system for the strongback setup. I'm not as confident about the alignment.
I got started late, and felt time pressure since about New Year's. 
Well, there's always Next Year 😉
I still have the forms for the Dark Star, and I might consider it, but not before re-reading my post about why I didn't. 😯 Looked back at the Cape Ann Storm SLT-I didn't build it last time, because I was afraid that I weighed too much, but it wouldn't be the first time that I messed up by letting Kayak Foundry statistics tell me what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment