Monday, December 21, 2020

Cheaters and The Waterline


 I did the usual technique of running a full strip out from the sheer and filling in with cheaters. Again, the 1/2" accent strips seemed more sturdy. At the areas of forms 1 and 16, I found that the shim wasn't actually necessary-I just made sure that the strips went in with a fair line.


At the bow, only two cheaters were required.


The the first strip that fills the gap between the accent strips was a little "fancy", requiring planing to make it fit in between for about 1/3 of its length. I decided to try making the scarf joint in situ instead of ahead of time.  I was able to place the strip in two sections.

Where the strip nearly filled the gap, I simply removed the nail in the accent strip, and clamped together. I only had to move the accent strip about 1 mm.

Filling in to the waterline went well. I've gotten a little better at tapering the strips so that they fit to the end, with little need for filler.

No comments:

Post a Comment