Friday, November 20, 2020

Starting

I printed the forms routinely, lots of paper and tape, as with my last Kayak Foundry build. I thought it might be easier to work with copies, so I went to Staples. I paid $20 for slow, mediocre service. It was easier to work with the copies, but after all the forms were glued to Masonite & trimmed, I found that form #2 and the Bow Form misaligned by over 1/4"! I began to suspect that Staples' copier was off, but after careful measurement, I determined that the copies were O.K. I finally realized that I know how to finagle, shim, and adjust forms during the build, so I trimmed the Deck Side of the bow form & went with it. If necessary, it wouldn't be the the first time that I had to make adjustments on the fly.

I have two superstitions about starting a build. On every good build, I have managed to hurt myself a little (things on the order of stapling my finger, dropping something on my foot, etc.) and made a false start on some phase of the project. This time. I stuck my finger with a measuring gauge, and had the quandary about the forms. I also had to re-make forms 1 and 2. 😉



No comments:

Post a Comment