Friday, January 17, 2020

Glassing The Hull

As usual, sanding the hull was more work than expected, and every flaw is staring at me. 😉
Interesting: I did set the hull up with several forms hot-melt glued in place. They fit snugly. While sanding, they had a tendency to fall out, and today I noticed that they don't fit snugly any more-the gunwales have expanded back out to where they were before I glassed the interior. The epoxy shrinkage is temporary? I'm interested in seeing if the hull shrinks back to the forms after glassing. The hull now sticks out as much as 1" from the forms, and that will make the fit "challenging".
After setting the glass in place, I only needed to cut one small dart in the end of the stern. I decided on two 3' x 2" reinforcing strips at the bow & stern.
The strip in place. I find it easier to place the strip on the wet epoxy, after the main sheath of glass is saturated, than to try & saturate the  two layers at once.
After the first fill coat, I noticed that the hull is definitely not  shrinking back to the forms-on the contrary, it spread out. On my favorite message board, one guy suggested that it was more about the wood being affected by temperature and humidity than about epoxy shrinkage. It's going to take some "serious doing" to fix this. Come to think of it, this is the same problem that I had last year. Maybe 3/16" strips aren't really a good idea?
Almost ironically, this is the best epoxy coating I've ever done on a hull. I went for a thicker fill coat, and the weave is mostly filled after the first coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment