Friday, October 18, 2019

Cheaters in Pawlonia

I ran the usual full-length strip out to the ends of the form. I got it all the way out to forms 2 and 16 before letting it run out. The 3/16" x 5/8"   pawlonia strips are more flexible than cedar.
On the stern, I only needed two cheaters to fill in the gap. It seemed easy to plane & sand the pawlonia. As far as matching the strips for scarf joints, etc. goes, it all seems to be about the same color, except for some brownish grain pattern.
The pine and pawlonia are almost the same color. I'm hoping that they will contrast  more after finishing and ageing.
Filling in between the sheer and waterline strips. I think that the waterline strip may be visible where the differently-grained pawlonia strips end at it. 
Pleasantly surprised that the pawlonia responds to heat bending even better than cedar. The only theory I can think of is that it contains less lignin than cedar, and "less lignin" is easier to heat up than "more lignin"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment