Friday, March 8, 2019

Deck Stripping

I'm using a lot of dark-looking cedar for the whole build. I usually get so absorbed in the technical aspects of stripping that I forget about fancy patterns, so this time I decided not to go for any accent stripes, just the whole deck similar. I have a jolly little dolphin inlay for a decoration.
As always, puzzled over the problem of how to make the transitions at the ends. 
I ended up stripping "intuitively", with an interesting pileup of fits and angles.
I end up with strips coming together like this. It looks familiar.
Stretch tape pulling things together.
Sometimes, I can't figure out or plan how to do a detail until I actually start working on it.

A perfect example arose when the deck strips laid from the center  started approaching the strips laid from the sheer. I could see that there would be a considerable drop down to the deck level, but I just kept adding strips until I saw what I needed to do.
I don't even call this a "whiskey" plank, because it was Beyond Whiskey ;) I have a clamp bending the top strips down to the deck level, and several clamps trying to make the strips come together. I hope it holds!
It held together just fine, but it produced a sort of concave curve down to the deck. It won't show well in a photo. I puzzled for a while about figuring out a way to push the curve out, but its the same on both sides, and I was afraid of messing it up, so I'm leaving it.
The height difference between the fore and aft edges of the cockpit opening is almost 7", so I'm going for a molded fiberglass rim.

No comments:

Post a Comment