Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Strongback

I used the same techniques for setting up the forms as the last build,except that I used 1/2" CDX plywood instead of Masonite. It has an advantage in that you can sometimes use the plies to align things, however, the grain running in different directions makes it look "crooked".
Bow View. The Famous Bow Piece  is supported & aligned with an extra mini-bracket. The forms are spaced closer together at the bow & stern.
Stern view. The stern piece is also supported/aligned with a mini-bracket. 
As I go along, I'm beginning to "get" how it all comes together-for example, how the main hull strips run past and rest on the bevels of the stern section. Those extra-thin strips are starting to look mighty frail after tapering.
I still don't understand the whole process, but I'm hoping that after I get closer, that I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment